Essential Flax Bread
- 1/2 cup Stoney Creek Organic Flaxseed Meal
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- Whole flaxseeds, sesame seeds, salt flakes
- 4.5 litre (or larger) heavy lidded pot (heat resistant cast iron/enamel/pyrex)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Sift flour in a large bowl, add meal and salt around edge.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add liquid, stir with a paddle until combined.
- Knead the wet dough for a few minutes whilst still in the bowl.
- Cover bowl with cling wrap and leave until the dough has doubled in size, or overnight in a warm place.
- Turn the dough onto some baking paper, roughly shaping to suit your pot.
- Sprinkle with seeds and salt.
- Let rise again for 30 minutes whilst heating the pot in the oven at 220oC.
- Lift the dough using the paper and place both in pot, put lid on and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake a further 15 to 20 minutes.