This dish is adapted from Silvena Rowe’s gorgeous book Purple Citrus and Sweet Perfume - a celebration of Eastern Mediterranean food. Za’atar is delightful sprinkled on any dish and gives an unusual lively twist to this pumpkin hummus.
- 450g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp Stoney Creek Organic Flaxseed Oil
- 1 tbsp za'atar (plus 1 tbsp for garnish)*
To make Za'atar, mix
- 2 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (lightly toasted)
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp salt.
Store in a jar for up to one week. Use with bread dipped in oil or sprinkled on salads and hot dishes.
- Preheat oven to 200oC.
- Place pumpkin in a baking tray, brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 minutes or until golden and soft.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, roughly mash cooled pumpkin with a fork, add remaining ingredients, combine well and serve garnished with extra za'atar.