- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced into rings
- 2 slices quality bacon (chopped) or some butter
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 2 sticks celery (diced finely) including tops
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 250g shredded cabbage (prefer Savoy)
- 1 or 2 zucchinis sliced lengthways and chopped into chunks
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 2 small pieces of parmesan rind (keep pieces in the freezer)
- 100-150g barley
- 400g can cannellini beans or prepared dry beans
- 2 tablespoons Stoney Creek Organic Flaxseed Oil
- Grated parmesan and cracked black pepper
- Slowly sweat onions in olive oil, adding bacon and vegetables in order as you chop.
- Add chicken stock and parmesan rind, bring to the boil then simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Add barley and continue to simmer until cooked.
- Add celery leaves and cannellini beans to heat through.
- Serve with grated parmesan and pepper, stirring in flaxseed oil at same time.